Ethereal-dev: RE: [ethereal-dev] Proposing some ethereal projects ...

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:59:43 +0100
> Code restructure. This involves extracting the last few GTK-specific
> sections of code from the generic Ethereal code and moving it to the "gtk"
> subdirectory. Furthermore, the dissector code and the ancillary code
> (protocol registration, display filters) can be moved into a separate
> directory, and can even create an archive library. This is basically
> "libdecode using Ethereal 0.x", but it's nowhere near the functionality of
> your envisioned libdencode. Similarly, the non-GUI-specific application
> code (config file parsing) can be moved to another directory (although
> some of it is relevant to the dissector section... that's why people
> need to discuss this).
>
> I had thought about waiting to do this until after Ethereal 1.0, but
> it's really starting to bug me.
>
> I envision something like:
>
> ethereal/			(the top-level README and INSTALL
> files, etc.)
> 	doc/
> 	image/
> 	plugins/
> 		gryphon/
> 	wiretap/
> 	dissection/		(dissectors, registration, display filters)
> 	libethereal/		(config file, capture code?, plugins)
> 	gtk/
> 	linemode/
>
> and in some far-off future:
> 	curses/
> 	mfc/

I like this structure, I might be able to do something with the brain dead
Visual C++ project files to make a sensible build environment if all the
ancillary items are in libraries.  I have something at them moment but it's
spread across too many project files and is difficult to maintain.

Regards,

Graham Bloice