Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Usability feature, protocol tree

From: Ben Fowler <wapdev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:47:24 +0100
At 12:39 AM 5/26/00, Guy Harris wrote:
> Is there a way to make the protocol tree selection persist across
> different packet selections?

If such a feature were implemented, I would use it for exactly the
reason that the OP gave

Part of the problem would be coming up with a definition of "persist"
that can be implemented by Ethereal, without use of the Read User's Mind
instruction, which is not present on most processors. :-)

A line in a protocol tree might be associated with a filterable field;
if the new packet has exactly one instance of that field, we could
probably re-select it, but if it has more than one of them, which one
should it pick?

In addition, a line in a protocol tree might *not* be associated with a
filterable field; unless the current line has a field associated with
it, there's no way for Ethereal to know which line in the new packet's
protocol tree would correspond to the selected line in the old packet.

Would this problem be smaller if the feature was only operational for
packets of the same type.

Ben
--
Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
< URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/mobile/ >