Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] LAT

From: Warren Young <warren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:05:59 -0600
Joerg Mayer wrote:

> Hmm, I wonder whether just decoding a patented network protocol violates
> the patent. Personally I don't think so, but then, I live in Germany :-)
> Btw: The situation is the same with Cisco's ISL and we decode that.

Patents usually only cover the "encoding" process, not the decoding
process.  Part of the PK-ZIP algorithm is this way, for example.  (The
"deflate" algorithm, IIRC.)  Info-Zip used to inflate deflated files,
but wouldn't create zip archives with deflated files.  Last time I tried
it, though, it refused to touch the deflated files in an archive.
Odd...

If DEC also patented just the encoding parts of the algorithm, we should
be okay writing a decoder for it, especially since we're not really
acting on the data, just showing it in a structured way.
--
= Warren -- See the *ix pages at http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/ix/
=