Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] [LEEDSNET] Error output & logginf whilst developing ethereal

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:32:13 -0600
On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 07:51:21PM +0000, Leedsnet wrote:

> On a separate issue, has putting the packet-*.c sources in their
> own directory ever been proposed?
>
> Ben.

Not for the current incarnation of Ethereal. After we finish up
a few long outstanding items, we'll announce 1.0 and work on a
re-design of Ethereal, putting the dissectors and the infrastructure
(display filters, proto_tree) in a library so that other applications
can share the work we've done with the packet dissectors. During
that work we'll arrange the directories better. When Gerald started
Ethereal I don't think he had any idea that Ethereal would become so
popular and attract so many developers, so he just placed the
few dissectors he had in the top-level directory along with all the
source.

--gilbert