Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] New Dissector for Sinec H1

From: "Gerrit Gehnen" <G.Gehnen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:30:54 +0100
> This patch appears to treat all COTP packets as being H1 packets; is
> there any way to determine, e.g. from the TSAP, whether the packet is an
> H1 packet.

Possible approaches to determine the H1 protocol are
- TSAP's are 8 characters for S5-PLC's, which are all printable
  (for S7-PLC's they are 2 characters which are non printable....)
- H1 uses the inactive subset of CLNP only (see my patch for
packet-osi.c
  last month). IMHO this is the most relevant point.
- A further quick check is to look at the first two bytes of the higher
level
  which are ASCII 'S5'.

Are there any other protocols, which collide with the H1-Dissector?
In packet-osi I found that all decoding is directed to the generic
data dissector.

   Gerrit Gehnen

Btw. Thanks for the RCS-ID tip. I think, that should be one item in a
"How to write a new dissector"-document.
-- -
Dr.-Ing. Gerrit Gehnen      Abt. LT
ATR Industrie-Elektronik    Textilstra�e 2, 41751 Viersen, Germany
Tel. (+49)2162 485-362      Fax (+49)2162 485-100
http://www.atrie.de