Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] What will the feature set of 1.0 be?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:21:34 -0800 (PST)
> For instance after a capture is made, you may want to create a filter based
> on some of the data captured.  Within the "Filter string" field, you could
> perhaps use the knownledge of the hosts captured, protocols, etc. to
> create a drop down list to say select a host.  Or perhaps even another
> pop window so that you could select a host or etherenet address to filter on.

Actually, a GUI to let you construct the filter, so you don't have to do
"man ethereal" in another window to see the list of fields on which you
can filter, might be useful.  (Preserving the ability to Just Type A
Filter In would be good, and would mean we'd be providing something at
neither of the the "everything should be GUI!" or the "typing good,
point-and-drool bad!" extremes.)