Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Ethereal win32 binaries (non-capturing)

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:54:25 -0600
http://ethereal.zing.org/distribution/win32

I've made available the win32 binaries for Ethereal 0.8.2, plus the
fixes that we've put in this week.

There are two zip files. gtk-libs-19990828.zip contains the
DLL's that need to be in your path. They are not the most recent GTK+
dll's for Win32 because the most recent ones have a bug which makes itself
evident in the hexdump pane.

ethereal-20000128.zip contains the ethereal.exe binary and man page
in HTML format. Be sure to set the HOME environment to something
before running ethereal (set HOME=. or set HOME=c:\ , for example), otherwise
ethereal will crash. I'll put in a fix so that Ethereal checks for the
existence of HOME and provides a default if it's not set.

This is a very basic Ethereal. There is no zlib support, nor is there
SNMP decoding. And of course, there's no pcap support, so you can't sniff.

But you _can_ load trace files, in any of the formats that wiretap
supports, and run display filters on them.

Oh, and there's no command-line options because I haven't looked into
using a getopt library on win32.

Yes, the win32 port is a work in progress. :)

--gilbert